New in 2012
• The early goose season will be held Sept. 1-21.
• The daily bag limit for Scaup has been increased to four.
• Motorized decoys controlled by remote may be used for taking migrating waterfowl and doves when and where they are otherwise legal.
• The Sandhill crane season (northwest zone only) will be open Sept. 15-Oct. 21.
• The regular waterfowl season will open statewide on Sept. 22. The season will then be split in the central and south zones to provide additional hunting opportunity.
• Shooting hours will be one-half hour before sunrise until 4 p.m. from Sept. 22 through Oct. 6 and until sunset thereafter.
• Goose season will run concurrent with duck season, but will close in December, depending on zone.
• Youth waterfowl day will be Sept. 8.
• Falconry waterfowl season will run concurrent with the open duck season with a split in the late season.
• The Rochester goose zone is no longer necessary due to the late season closure in the south zone.
License Validation/Apprentice Hunter
• License validations for state migratory waterfowl stamps are legal for hunting without the pictorial stamp. Purchasers can request the optional pictorial stam for a fee but it is not required for hunting.
• Apprentice hunter validation is now available for Minnesota residents who would normally be required to possess a firearms safety certificate to hunt small game or deer.
Date to remember
09/01/12 - 09/21/12
Early Canada Goose season
Youth Waterfowl Hunt Day
Waterfowl season opener
This content was provided by the MN DNR website. For a complete guide of the 2012 Waterfowl Regulations click here.