by Mary Pat McNeil
It’s very hot outside, and summer is just coming into full swing, but school supplies are already showing up at your favorite retail stores, fall sports registration is already underway and staff is busy preparing for the new school year. Here are a few helpful tips to get you ready:
- Check for back-to-school information and supply lists on your school’s website.
- Mark your calendar for school open houses and high school “fast start” dates coming in August.
Here’s How to Find Supply Lists:
To find out what your student needs for classes at Westonka, visit the district website. Choose your school from the “Our Schools” tab at the top of the page, and find a link to the supply list on each school’s home page. Or in the case of , select “Parents” in the left menu and find the supply list in a group of informational items.
Want to Help Others by Donating Supplies?
The annual WeCAN school supply drive has begun. Families can donate extra school supplies for those who can’t afford to buy their children what they need for school. All students in grades kindergarten through 12 are in need of supplies.
School supply donation boxes will be available at area churches, Westonka Library, Gillespie Center and a several local businesses: True Value Hardware, Jubilee Foods, Caribou, City Looks, The Dollar Store, Crow River Bank and Curves.
Need Help with Supplies?
Families who need help with school supplies for their students can pick up donated supplies from WeCAN.
Distribution dates: Wednesday and Thursday, Aug. 22-23, 9 a.m. -4 p.m.
Where: WeCAN office, 5213 Shoreline Drive, in Mound (next to The Dollar Store)
Who: No registration is needed. Families must live in the communities served by WeCAN, be low to moderate income, be the custodial parent or guardian and be able to show identification and proof of address for parents and children.
Get the full details: www.wecan-help.org under Programs and Services/Family Support.
Fast Start Days: —Wednesdays Aug. 15 and 22, from 4 to 8 p.m. Families can pay fees, find out about activities, put money in school lunch accounts and have school photos taken.
Parent Open Houses
Grandview Middle School: Tuesday, Aug. 28, 5:30-8:30 p.m.
Hilltop and Shirley Hills: Wednesday, Aug. 29, 4-6 p.m.
Preschool Parent Info Night for Preschool and Preschool Adv. Club: at the ECC site (adults only), Aug. 22 from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Hilltop and Shirley Hills preschool parents 6-7 p.m.
ECC preschool parents Preschool Open House at Hilltop, Shirley Hills, and Early Childhood Center: Wednesday, Aug. 29, 4-6
Mark Your Calendars!
- Thursday, July 12: Registration begins for high school (grades 7-12); fall sports opens
- Monday, August 13: First day of fall sports for 9th-grade through Varsity
- Wednesdays, August 15 and 22: MWHS Fast Start Days, 4-8 p.m.
- Monday, August 27: First day of 7th-& 8th-grade fall sports
- Tuesday, August 28: Grandview Middle School Open House, 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 29: School Open Houses at Hilltop and Shirley Hills, 4-6 p.m.; Grandview Middle School and WEB fifth-grade and new student orientation, 8 a.m.-noon; MWHS link crew eighth-grade orientation, 8 a.m. -noon; MWHS eighth-grade, new student and parent orientation, 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, Sept. 4: First day of school and kindergarten conferences
- Wednesday, Sept. 5: Kindergarten conferences; preschool first day for Wednesday classes.
- Thursday, Sept. 6: First day of school for kindergarteners; preschool first day for Tuesday/Thursday only classes.
Look for the Back to School mailer with bus schedules, lunch prices, privacy info, calendar dates and more coming to your mailbox the first week in August.