In the past week, there have been at least 16 thefts that have taken place on boats docked on Lake Minnetonka. The incidents have happened on boats docked at marinas or private residences. Items stolen include alcohol, tools and electronics such as radios and televisions.
Anyone with information about these crimes is urged to contact local law enforcement, the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office or Crime Stoppers.
The spree of thefts took place July 24-28 in the following cities: Tonka Bay, Orono (Smith Bay and Brown’s Bay), Mound and Spring Park.
A camera videotaped images of activity at one marina, which is attached to this post. The video link was provided to the Sheriff’s Office.
Anyone recognizing these individuals is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Office.
The public is urged to take precautions to prevent thefts from boats:
- Remove all electronics, alcohol, and valuable items from your boat
- Use security lights – especially motion-sensor lights on docks
- Consider alarms that sound when entry is made
- Create a neighborhood watch to report any suspicious activity
- Don’t leave a boat engine key in the ignition
- Secure hatches and lockers with strong padlocks
- Secure outboard motor so it can’t be easily removed
- For trailers, use a wheel lock device or chain a trailer to another object
To contact the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office, call 763-525-6216 or call 911. To provide anonymous tips you may call, text, or leave an online tip with Crime Stoppers. For information, visit www.crimestoppersMN.org
Information provided by the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office