by Hennepin County Sheriff Rich Stanek
Here are several tips you can use to prevent intoxicated boating:
- Designate a sober boat operator prior to boating.
- Bring non-alcoholic beverages on board the boat.
- If you dock, remember to designate a sober operator prior to re-boarding the boat.
- As a passanger, make it clear that your safety is important and you do not wish to participate in boating with an impaired person.
- If you see impaired boating, call 911.
REMINDER: Operating a boat while intoxicated is a crime. So far this year, the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office has made 55 arrests for Boating While Intoxicated (BWI).