In December and January, Wayzata School Board members made changes to enrollment boundaries to both elementary schools and middle schools. School board presentations show that boundary decisions were made to better match students to facilities that can handle various capacities.
During their Dec. 10 meeting, school board members approved elementary attendance area modifications—a decision that culminated after months of review and discussion.
- Wayzata School Board Could Approve Boundary Changes
- More Feedback Given At Third Wayzata School Boundaries Meeting
- New Scenarios For Wayzata School Attendance Boundaries
- Wayzata School Board To Get Attendance Boundary Recommendations
- Public Meetings About Wayzata School Boundaries (UPDATED)
According to the Wayzata Public Schools website, all changes will take effect during the 2013-14 school year.
Main reassignments include:
- Neighborhood 7B from Greenwood to Oakwood (currently occupied areas)
- Neighborhoods 10E and 13 from Greenwood to Gleason Lake
- Neighborhood 30 from Plymouth Creek to Kimberly Lane
- Neighborhood 33 from Plymouth Creek to Greenwood
After reviewing middle school capacities, on Jan. 14, the school board decided to hold off on making boundary adjustments but did decide to make administrative changes.
“Current projections do not indicate that there is compelling reason to make comprehensive middle school attendance boundary adjustments for capacity related reasons,” Executive Director of Finance and Business Jim Westrum said in school board documents. However, Westrum said that due to the elementary school reassignments, “administrative” assignment changes would need to occur.
For new sixth, seventh and eighth graders in neighborhoods 30 and 33, beginning in the 2013-14 school year, they will elect to attend Wayzata East Middle School or Central Middle School with district transportation provided.
Then, beginning in the 2014-15 school year, the following changes will take place, according to the Wayzata Public Schools website:
- 2014-15: Grades 7-8 in neighborhood 30 or 33; elect East or Central with district transportation provided; Grade 6 to Central with transportation provided
- 2015-2016: Grade 8 in neighborhood 30 or 33; elect East or Central with district transportation provided; Grades 6-7 to Central with transportation provided
- 2016-2017: Grades 6-8 in neighborhood 30 or 33 to Central with transportation provided