SummerFest 2012 kicks off June 19 in Long Lake and is expected to draw thousands during five days of food, fun and family-friendly activities.
Organized by the Long Lake Area Chamber of Commerce and supported by a long list of local businesses, SummerFest has become an annual tradition in Long Lake and come to involve dozens of local civic organizations, merchants and community supporters.
Friday, June 22
- Gear West Twilight 5K: Pre-register prior to June 22 at Gear West ($15/runner). Race day registration ($20) from 6-7 p.m. at Gear West. Number pick up for all runners Friday 6-7 p.m. at Gear West. Race begins at 7:30 p.m. at Nelson Lakeside Park in Long Lake. Pre-registered runners receive a T-shirt, and prizes will be awarded. K-Swiss swag and demo shoes available.
- Movie in the Park: Featuring Grown Ups with Adam Sandler (PG-13). Pack a picnic, grab a blanket and head down to enjoy a movie under the stars. Start time is dusk (approximately 9:30 p.m.). Adult beverage tent, kid drinks and movie snacks available. Free Admission at Nelson Lakeside Park.
Saturday June 23
- Big Bang Saturday at Nelson Lakeside Park (Beach on Long Lake): Long Lake True Value’s Anniversary Sale and Community Celebration (Saturday and Sunday); Western Hennepin County Pioneers Association Civil War Reenactment and Ice Cream Social (10 a.m.-4 p.m. at Pioneer Museum); free Admission to the Park; adult beverage tent (12-11 p.m.); fireworks (around 9:45 p.m.).
- Free beach boot camp with Angie Weber from Body Squad at 7 a.m. (bring your own mat).
- Paddle board rentals (9 a.m. to noon). Register at wainanisup.com to reserve your board ($20 for a half hour). Rowing Club demos (9 a.m. to noon).
- Sand castle competition (9 a.m. start—judging at noon). First-come basis. Register at the info table (beginning at 8:30 a.m.). $10 per space.
- Gourmet food trucks (9 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.). Carnival row and retail vendors (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.).
- Grass volleyball tournament (8 a.m. registration and 9 a.m. start) Cost is $100 per team; junior and adult brackets. Prizes awarded.
- Juniors division mixed doubles tennis tournament at Orono Highh School (8 a.m. start—$30 per doubles team). Prizes awarded.
- Kids zone and inflatables: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. ($5 wristbands); Character appearances, balloon animals (12-2 p.m.) and face painting (all day).
- Long Lake fire truck appearance (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
- Teenage Battle of the Bands (11 a.m. to 3 p.m.). Pre-registration required—$25 per band.
- Dunk tank sponsored by the Orono Football Boosters (12-8 p.m.)
- Award presentations (6 p.m.): volleyball, tennis, Twilight 5K, Battle of the Bands and sand castle contest.
- Shockwaves water ski show (6:30-8 p.m.)
- Main stage bands: Hot Dish (4-6 p.m.); Red Dot Garage (8-11:30 p.m.)